Monday, March 10, 2008

Kenya Sisters





I've nicknamed my group of buds that I met at the Embassy in Nairobi my "Kenya Sisters."  We had the opportunity to meet up this weekend (thanks Abby for flying down from Cananda and Kendra for driving up from S.C.!)  We enjoyed great food, funny stories, games and enjoyed each other immensely.  Every time we all make it a point to get together, there are always unforgettable times.  It was wonderful.  

This week Jonathan was in Brussels.  He brought back some delicious Belgium chocolates!  Also this week, we celebrated Easter with the kids today since Jonathan was home and we wouldn't be together for Easter.  We colored eggs and had a hunt.  Austin did ask the infamous question while opening eggs filled with goodies, "Why eggs?  Bunnies don't lay eggs."  He also informed me that the Easter Bunny that appeared at our church Easter Egg Hunt was not the real Easter bunny-it was just a costume.  Oh no...my heart panged a bit in fear that Santa and other fictional holiday icons might not have a chance in a much shorter time than I'm ready for!

This week Austin's school had a book fair. Now, I know most schools have book fairs, but I just don't think they're right.  I LOVE Austin's preschool, but he'll come home and have this "wish list" filled out of his first, second and third choice book picks.  Each book is marked up since the preschool gets a cut.  So Austin comes home with the notion that he's going to get one of his books he's picked out and is on his wish-list.  I've bought into this for awhile now, but this time, I gently explained that I would rather take him out to ice cream and he can choose a book at the bookstore when we go sometime.  I just don't think its right that kids can walk around almost like in a toy store and have a wish list, and if they can't/don't get a book due to whatever reason, they're upset because they just don't understand--the book fair does such a good job getting the kids so excited about the products.  Austin took it very well that we don't always have to buy what's on his wish list and that the school does this to raise money.  

Ashley is so funny.  She's starting to do this "tooshie" dance, where she'll spread her legs when music comes on, put her toosh real low to the ground and shake it really quick back and forth.  So funny!  She's also very much in the "I do it" stage.  I could turn a page of a book and she'll stop me and want to turn it for herself.   Or comb her own hair or put on her own clothes/socks/shoes.  If I try to change them because she's dressed like a ragamuffin, I am the one that doesn't win.

I have been what Oprah calls a "Schlumpadinka" this past winter.  I used to wear jeans or slacks, skirts, each morning after I'd shower.  But ever since Christmas ended, the weather's gotten colder and to stay warm I wear a velour track suit about everyday of the week.  Or I keep my workout clothes on from the morning.  Why dress to impress?  I never thought I'd feel this way.  But really the only places I go during the day is to the gym and to take Austin to and from preschool.  So that's what I dress for.  To impress no one and to only be warm in this cold weather and be comfortable.  I must note too that since my hubby is gone most the time I don't feel like I have to get all ready all the time...I guess I might change that if he were home to see me in my clothing slump he'd probably be sicked out.  Anyways, Oprah had a show where women considered themselves as schlumpadinkas and I was fully expecting it to be women who wanted a makeover because they were still wearing clothes from college or wear 'mom' jeans or just weren't in the year 2008.  NO!  Much to my horror, I could have been on the schlumpadinka makeover show.  They re-clothed women that wore hats, and workout clothes just like me! 

A few funnies this week:

Austin: Our home teacher has really blonde long hair and pulls it nicely back in a ponytail.  He came over and delivered a beautiful message with his son and asked Austin many questions and I was so impressed with how much Austin knew about the resurrection and many staples of the early days of Jesus.  (Thanks Primary!)  So our home teachers complimented Austin and that made him feel great.  So I was combing Austin's hair tonight after his shower and I told Austin that this week we had to get him a  haircut and he replied back, "No, I want to grow my hair long like my home teacher.  It's so nice."

Austin: I've been teaching Austin to stop eating when you're full and to "listen to your body", not to eat just because something tastes good.  Well, we were eating pizza and I admit I went back for more than I should and as Austin is patiently waiting at the table to be excused I tell him to wait until everyone's done eating, he saw me grab another piece and his eyes got huge and said, "now Mommy, are you listening to your body?  Are you eating just because it tastes good or are you truly hungry?"  I put that piece back.

Ashley:  "Teletubbies Mama!  So 'cited!"  My daughter has hit the freaky teletubby faze.  She giggles to herself as she watches the little farting creatures.  

Ashley: The difference in emotions between girls and boys-its incredible.  When I read stories to Austin when he was 2, he just followed along.  When I read them to Ash she looks at the pictures and takes note of emotions on the expressions of the characters faces.  Before I can even read what's going on, she'll say, 'Oh no' or 'so scary' or 'so happy'.  I know adult men that can't read body language or expressions on females faces and they're 32.....  

Happy Easter!
Angie





3 comments:

Monica said...

Angie-

I totally agree about the book fair. It drives me crazy to have yet another thing brought home by my child saying I need to spend more money. He always gets his hopes up too about the books he has picked out! Poor guy!

Oh and by the way if you of all people are a "Slumpadinka" then heaven help the rest of us. I saw you in a cute skirt at Target in the middle of the week!! The thought to wear anything but comfy jeans doesn't even cross my mind!!

Cherilyn said...

Angie - I like your weekly journaling - I think I may start doing my blog that way! As for the fund rasiers... It just get worse after preschool. I too feel overwhelmed with them - especially since I have 3 in school and soon to be 4. I tell my kids at the first of each year that I will choose one to participate per kid and that's it. They can save their money for the book fairs and other things that they want to spend their money on.

Karen and Maui said...

Angie,

I, too, was a Schlumpadinka until watching that episode of Oprah. I never knew you weren't supposed to wear tennis shoes anywhere other than the gym! I love my tennis shoes! So after watching that shoe, I went out and bought my first pair of ballet flats! Now, I slip those on to go to the grocery store and run my errands during the day. I have to be honest....the tennis shoes are more comfortable, but heaven forbid someone call me a Schlumpadinka! hee hee