Monday, October 05, 2009

Tribute to Annie








Back in November of 2008, the Toler's bought a dog. A purebred, AKC registered, champion pedigree Viszla. We went all out because we had wanted a dog for about 8 years. With Jonathan gone with all of his traveling, I wanted a companion around the home and we took the plunge. We have loved and enjoyed Annie for the past 11 months. Micro-chipped, spayed, obedience trained and housebroken. I put a lot of sweat into Annie!


With knowledge that we're moving to a flat Frankfurt, Germany, my knee surgery, and alone with no hubby and 2 kiddos to take care of, I was having a hard time keeping up with Annie. She loves to run and when I ran everyday (before the torn meniscus) she would get her exercise. But with no fenced in yard in a townhome and no outlet, poor Annie needed some freedom. I would take her to dog parks and large fields, but I still felt she needed another home.

This weekend, we gave her away. It was heart-wrenching. But of all the people I interviewed, the couple I wanted to have her, came and got her. I know she's being taken care of and will love her new pad. Acres of land, a pond, and lots of walks. I am so thankful for her new life.

The kids are acting out and asking for Annie back, acting like dogs, mad at me for giving away a 'member of the family'. I had to tell Jonathan on his birthday and he gave me full support but I could sense sadness in his voice.

We loved Annie and will never forget our first dog.




10 comments:

Grant said...

That i sad, she was a great dog! I agree with Austin, Annie was a member of your family, why would you get rid of members of your family?!!

Cherilyn said...

I was totally just thinking about you and all you are going through with your hubby away. I'm taking a quick break from conference as they are singing! I was so sad to hear from your mom about your knee surgery. I would have loved to have known sooner so I could actually help you out! This week I have preschool but I still can help you on Monday or Friday. I'm so sorry to hear about Annie. Tears : ( When we moved to CA my sister took in our Cat Desmond of 15 years and our dog Zoe of 10 years. They have 20 acres of open space, horses, 5 kids, etc. We knew they would be better off but it was still heart breaking. Two years later they both passed - the cat of old age and Zoe of cancer. It was the end of an era. We all sobbed and sobbed. Angie, you have a lot of manage on your own while you are alone and it is OK. Just look back at fond memories and not regret. I adore you and hope I can help you and support you when you need it. Friends want to help so please next time you have surgery don't keep a secret!

Kristen said...

Wow, what a total surprise. I completely understand why you did it. Just not the right time, right? Way to go, though I'm sure it was tough.

Robyn said...

You did better than us! Our first dog only lasted two weeks before she had to go and live on a farm.

Mandi said...

Oh Angie- I am sure that was really hard. You lasted longer than we did. We sold ours after 6 weeks...the time will come! She was lucky to start out life with so much love and now she will be so happy to roam free! Get that knee better quick, OK!

Ginger said...

It will be sad to not see her run around the neighborhood, but I fully understand where you are coming from. The kids may be mad and upset, but just think how releaved you are. Not having to go on poo-walks. Find chewed up shoes around the house. They will get over there lose soon.

Monica said...

Man woman you have had a lot going on!! I don't blame you about the dog. My husband wants one but my kids would probably freak and I can't handle another thing on my plate right now. Hope your knee heals soon!!! Congrats on Germany...that is soooo cool!!

Lyf2.0 said...

Awww... Love you guys and Annie. Keep your feet up Goose.

Shells said...

Oh Angie, my heart aches for you guys. I am sending you all some big hugs.

Tami said...

What great pictures! We had to give our first dog away too. It was so heartwrenching. So glad that you took lots of pictures!