First, a congratulations is in order for my big brother Christian and his sweet wife Jodi! They had their baby boy 'Brigg Joseph LaBarbera' yesterday weighing in at 9 lbs 11 oz! That's quite a feat for such a petite Jodi! Way to go!
Sunday, November 18, 2007
The Escape Artist
Trick number one!
Starring Ashley the disappearing toddler. At the Freedom Center during Austin's gymnastics class, I peak in the window of his classroom and didn't have my eye on Ashley for 5 seconds. The next things I knew I looked around and POOF! Gone. I looked in all the classrooms, ran down the hall yelling her name, nothing. No Ash. After 30 seconds of searching, and people walking around, my heart is now pounding, tears welling up in my eyes and now I'm screaming in this rec center for my daughter just knowing she's been picked up and out the door by now by some stranger. 1 minute later, an older gentlemen opened the mens restroom door and asked me if this little girl was mine. I ran inside not caring if men were using the restroom or how many were in there. Ashley had pushed open the mens bathroom door, opened a stall and locked herself in. I thanked the man, crawled underneath the stall, open the door and took note of the very freshly used toilet she had chosen to stand by. I then vigorously washed our hands (still in the mens restroom).
Disappearing Act II: 3 days later at Kohls Dept store, both kids were holding onto the cart. I leaned down to pick up a gravy tureen and POOF! She was gone. I immediately called her name but nothing. I figured if I'm calling her name, she knows where I am and can hear me. So If I just look for her, I'll find her quicker. The first 10 seconds I am speedily walking through the store, then 20 seconds I am running through aisles, then after 30 seconds, the tears, panic and worry well up inside me again knowing she'd been kidnapped by now! Meanwhile, I told Austin just to stand right there and hold onto the cart. Finally I saw Ashley running. No, sprinting as fast as she could away from me. To where? Anywhere but near me. I ran up behind her, and before I captured her, she saw me and started to giggle in her hot pursuit-probably thinking how fun it was to escape, even for a little while.
Disappearing Act III: Austin had a couple of friends over (Bree and Hannah) and they were all downstairs in the basement playing with toys and they were being nice and including Ashley. I was cleaning upstairs when the doorbell rang. I opened it and our neighbor from across the street was holding Ashley. She said, "Do you know this little girl?" My heart sank as I grabbed her. The neighbor told me that she was taking her dogs out and noticed Ashley was petting a cat on someone's front patio for about 5 minutes and that she was alone and it was 45 degrees outside. Good golly. She had unlocked and opened the back door, and we'd left the garage door open because we were playing outside earlier. She escaped!
One week, 3 escaping attempts....my heart can't handle another one!
Austin's also saying funny/gross things this week and laughing at his own jokes (which then makes us giggle). He's saying things like "my lips smell like eggs" and looking in his mirror and saying, "do you want a piece of me?" and singing Christmas songs to himself which really isn't to himself and people in stores look at him and smile. He also reminded me this week, "Jesus is the boss of you mommy."
Ashley's comments this week are, "No Way!" and "O-kay" really emphasized and starting to sing the dumbo song "Baby Mine, Don't You Cry." She also loves jingle bells over and over again.
Ashley started a tot tumbling class last week at the Freedom Center. Austin takes the gymnastics class after her. They both love tumbling around!
Happy Thanksgiving! Gobble Gobble!
Posted by Angie at 9:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is the worst feeling in the whole world! I am so sorry! You are going to have to be on your toes with her, I guess.
Now you know why some people do the tether thing. Enoch loves to run away from us at a sprint, but it is us chasing us that really loves, so at least we are always in sight of him (for now). Best of luck limiting her ways to escape.
Ang,
I can't offer much help in the store's but for your house they have those knobs you put on door handles that you have to squeeze to open. Great for every door really, front, back, pantry.
Crapo
Post a Comment