Friday, October 31, 2008

Words out of the mouths...

Some famous lines this week:


Jonathan's hair is getting a little long (according to his definition).  I told him he should grow his hair out.  Well, last night Ashley was riding on daddy's back and put her hands through his hair and said, "Daddy, you look like Jesus".  Jonathan looked at me and said, "I'm getting a haircut tomorrow."

Ash is now into Dora the Explorer.  We watch an episode each day.  She calls it do-do-Dora as if she's trying to sing the opening song.   Well, I appreciate the show as it teaches the kids Spanish and other things.  I know Ash is picking up on the Spanish because I heard her in the bathroom saying, "Uno.  Dos.  Tres."  I walk in their and as she's squeezing each poop out in the toilet, she's counting them out in Spanish.  Go Dora.

Austin and dad went to 5 Guys for a manly dinner the other night.  At the ripe old age of 5, Austin asked Jonathan, "Dad, what are drugs?" WHAT?!?!?!?!  It donned on us that this week at school they're teaching 'Say NO to Drugs'.  Initially we were disturbed that kids even have to hear about drugs so young.  That maybe this is something they could have held off for another few years.  That I didn't want my son in kindergarten to hear about drugs.  But then after thinking about it for a long time,  we realized that in this day and age, kids are hearing about drugs so much sooner.  Not necessarily at 5, but these same kindergarteners have older siblings and friends.  And I think its in the older siblings that now we have to be so aware and teach our kids so young.  It's a shame, isn't it?  Any thoughts on this?

5 comments:

Kristen said...

That's scary that they know about drugs so early! Wow. Things are so crazy now days. And what a compliment Ashley gave to Jonathan-to look like Jesus!

Johnsons of Haymarket said...

Cam came home and asked what a cigarette was... Their innocence is fleeting. I am constantly reminded that if he were home with me, he wouldn't know/do half the things I've been seeing. It makes me sad. I just want my preschooler back.

Lindsey said...

These are the things that make me so nervous about having kids! I agree, it's a shame. But I'd rather they hear it from us parents than from other kids - know what I mean? Good luck! I hope to hold off on this for another year, but who knows?

just jen said...

uno.

dos.

tres.

i love it, that is the funniest thing!

Lynn said...

I'm sending Ashley "Dora says no to Drugs!"