Everything was set. And this is Urgent Care clinic is where we ended up 4 hours later. The car packed, mail/newspapers on hold, favorite snacks on board, dog at the kennel, house clean, Daddy came home. It was SPRING BREAK 09'! We were all packed up in the Odyssey and it was DISNEY WORLD or bust! We left Friday afternoon. Made it to Rocky Mt. North Carolina (4 hrs away) dvds jamming, when I heard the wheezing from deep in Austin's chest.
All
night his asthma/breathing got worse. 104 fever developed. Thin shallow breaths. Urgent care bound. With a diagnoses of pneumonia, we turned right back around to Virginia. (Although this Dr. did not know Austin's background of a narrow trachea, scar tissue damage in his throat due to past reflux, so really anyone who HEARS my kids would be frightened.) But with a shot of penicillin in his toosh, a good dose of steroids, Z-pack, and a few breathing tx's, we were back in DC.
(But we did get some Bo-berry Biscuits on the way out)
Same day, upon arriving home, we had to go to the ER at the new Heathcote Health Center. Two thumbs up. Great care, staff, cleanliness. Austin's x-ray was pneumonia free (I knew it...if I could have just been given some steroids and more breathing tx's we'd been flying high in Aladdin's magic carpet!)
But we felt very prompted to return home immediately. We've all needed the comforts of home when you're sick and he's still getting large doses of steroids, antibiotics, and breathing treatments every4 hours around the clock. That doesn't sound like a trip for Disney to us! So we have instead enjoyed being home together. Dad hooked up the Wii for the first time in forever and Austin and Dad are having a great time playing each other downstairs.
So we've decided this SPRING BREAK with Daddy being home we'd do a STAY-CATION! We won't travel! We'll go far enough around to have fun but nothing that would restrict Austin's need to be in quick ER care. So we'll keep you posted on what we do in the next few days of the kids and the dad's break . Jonathan leaves again Sunday the 12th. BOOO!!!
It's been great having him home.
For our next adventures this trip I smell....Museum of Natural History! Or....Luray Caverns...or Great Wolf Lodge or even spring time in Hershey Park. But that's only if our little buddy gets better. We may even just climb the rock at REI and call it an adventure day!
My witty brother Aaron told me that I should not ever let Austin live down the fact that he took the Disney trip away from us. I love you Aaron.

6 comments:
I'm sorry, Angie. But I'm glad that your hubby is home and that Austin is doing better. Enjoy the quiet family time. Disney will still be there. Man! This is strike two for you all and Disney--bummer.
Isn't it amazing how you guys are taken care of every time Austin has an episode like this? You guys are so good - so blessed - and I guess Disneyworld will just have to wait for next time - eh? I'm sure you'll enjoy ever minute of having Jonathan home... Love to you all! And glad Austin is OK.
Poor Austin, give him a hug and kiss from us. At least you are in a place where there are many day trips you can go on. Farm day at Frying Pan park - Flying day at Udvar Hazy - Shopping day for mom at the Outlets - what could be better?
My heart just sank when I saw you in your van on Saturday. I know how much you've been looking forward to this trip. I really hope that Jonathan is still on "vacation" and not half working this week. I hope you get your fix of eachother and the kids get to be with their daddy too much before he has to leave again. Give Austy a kiss for me.
Oh man!! That bites! Hope the stay-cation works out okay. We have done plenty of those!
Angie- I knew about this but I feel so bad that I keep forgetting to talk to you about it! I am so happy that all was well with Austin after all, but I am so bummed for you that Disney didn't happen. Who cares, though! I am glad you got some good family time and Disney will always be there!
By the way, I love the bunny poops!
Post a Comment