Tuesday, December 08, 2009

State Department Holiday Party

The kids and I had the opportunity to go to a State Department Holiday Party Tonight. It was hosted by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Martha Steward/Better Homes and Gardens. It was to honor all of the unaccompanied families. At the end of the party, there were 4 party bags per guest full of wonderful Martha Stuart treats. The party had mingling, delicious food, gorgeous presentation, harps, bell ensembles choirs, and I felt very pampered and appreciated as we were graciously thanked for our time away from our husbands this year. This was the first year the Secretary of State had a holiday party for unaccompanied family members.
Yes, this was a special meet and greet with Secretary of State Hillary R. Clinton. She was very gracious. In fact, Jonathan had already planned this special meeting so that the kids and I could get some time in with her in private. We met in a room and spoke about Baghdad and life here without him. It was very nice meeting.

These cookies were so finely decorated it looked like something Martha Stuart would have done.
Austin loved touring the Benjamin Franklin room and seeing the rich historical magic of these special buildings.
Martha Stuart. She was very kind and complimentary. She and I conversed about her talent, and what a fan I am of her work and about Jonathan. What a treat to mingle with these ladies. She even took a picture of us for her own blog.

Ash is ready to play the grand piano for the big dogs...
Downtown Washington DC at Christmas time is a wonderful place. I'm so glad my kids can take advantage of these amazing opportunities.


11 comments:

Janvier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janvier said...

AH GOOSE! These pictures are keepers. It makes me so proud of our country that they threw an event for unaccompanied family members. You are so beautiful and just glow in these pictures!! You forgot to mention that Martha CAME UP TO YOU first! Like I said, I would give my pinky to work for her. Love you

Johnsons of Haymarket said...

Wow, I feel so unworthy to be your friend! You have friends in high places! I love the look on Ash's face in the Martha pic. How awesome. An experience you'll never forget!

just jen said...

A-MAZING!

what a wonderful experience, and you got to meet martha stewart too?

i am so envious!

and so happy for you!

Monica said...

Okay you have some serious bragging rights going there girl!! So fun and you all look amazing!!!

My dad used to work for the president when I was a kid (Reagan) and we used to go the White House for movies and dinners and I never knew that it was something out of the ordinary to be able to do that..I always wondered why people were lined up outside the white house because we just went up to the gate.

It was a great childhood...your kids are lucky and they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Lisa said...

I am soooo jealous.. Those are beautiful pictures and it is very obvious that you are all having a wonderful time and enjoying Jonathan being home.. I now know why you weren't at the bus stop.. :)

Robyn said...

That is sooo cool! I had to do two double takes when I saw the celebrities on your blog! That is really neat!

Lindsey said...

What an amazing opportunity for you and the kiddos! It looks like it was just beautiful, and definitely something you'll all remember for a long time! You look gorgeous!

Lynette said...

Wow....I agree with what everyone else said...how AWESOME!!! I'm totally jealous that you met Martha!

Cherilyn said...

Greatness attracts greatness right! So fun! I'm glad that you had an adventure. I love Ashley's pics too and how Austin makes sure that everything is in order....I have a few of those cute boys too : )

Gina said...

Ang,
I'm so glad you have been having such a fun month! I know Jonathon is home now- yeah!!- and that you guys are just enjoying being together as a family! What an awesome dinner full of celebs. You are so classy and famous!
Happy Birthday to Ash and to you- and a merry christmas around the corner!
Lots of love!
Gina