Saturday, August 07, 2010

The No-Good-Rotten-Week






On the homefront, I walked in from being gone most the day to a basement full of water up to my ankles. Our finished basement. Ugh. There was no leaking from the ceiling, washing machine fine, toilet fine, no water coming in from the doors....but the water was coming more from one side of the house than another. I stepped next door to ask my neighbor if he had any flooding in his basement. A look of shock covered his face...he came back to the door grabbing his head and shrieked, "Water is up to my shins!" His destroyed basement was flooding into mine. Fun. Earlier in the day, he'd turned on the water in his utility closet and didn't know a pipe was broken. So all day long water was running between the houses, soaking both. That night from 8pm-3:30am I used a 12 gallon shop vac and sucked out about 50 gallons of water. I then pulled up all my carpet (WHERE IS MY HUSBAND WHEN I NEED HIM? OH YEAH, IRAQ.) So after ripping back my own carpet, another neighbor picked up to industrial carpet fans we placed on the padding. Thank goodness for neighbors. The next day Serve-Pro came in and placed 7 more fans, dehumidifiers, tested for mold, moisture,etc. After 7 days of a destroyed basement, they came back in and we are in good shape. There was no moisture in the dry wall, baseboard, foam pad, carpet, and they sprayed a mold/spray and deep cleaned my carpets. All in all, my carpet in the basement looks better than it did before the flood. What a disaster. There was a claim filed by my neighbor to his homeowners insurance and hopefully I will get some of my personal property that was damaged reimbursed....the verdict is still out.

Same week, my oven broke. Needed a new ignitor (took 3 hours to preheat). Same week, dryer door wouldn't close. Another repairman. All in the same week. 3 house problems. They come in 3's right?

Then in Iraq, there was a very deadly explosion. Duane was fine, but there were 3 casualties and 15 American injured in a rocket blast within the Green zone.

Next week will be perfect because Daddy comes home!!! Austin got to pick up his football equipment/pads this week which was very cool. Ash got her hair done by Mrs. Erika! Ash wanted to sleep in her hair for 2 days with her hair like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ash's hair and dress are ADORABLE! Love that look on her

Marsha said...

Oh Angie, I'm so sorry, what a nightmare! Growing up, our basement got flooded all the time and I remember the dry vac, stinky carpets, and wet stuff everywhere. So not fun! You did make me feel better about my hair dryer breaking today, it could be worse! I hope you have 3 really great things happen next week!

Cherilyn said...

Wish I could have been there to help. Glad that it ended well and here's to hoping you get money to replace your damaged items and clean up expenses.

Also - love Ashley the queen!